I am a 3 year old 6 lb rescued hairy hairless Chinese Crested. I am fighting for the other animals that are in the situation I was in. Read more about me here.
There are more animals euthanized than people want to know.
Please support No Kill Shelters!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

RIP Dear Otis

Otis's tale comes to us from his mama, Leticia, a dear friend of Junie's mama, Heather.

Otis's Story

Otis
It's a hard life out there for an animal. We're not like humans - we can't speak a language that is understood almost
universally, we don't have hands that can defend ourselves, and we can't carry weapons. We have to rely on what God
gave us - claws and our survival instinct.
Life for a stray is a lot like life for an abused animal. For an animal who is abused, they never know when or if their
owner will give them their next meal, and there are no baths or cuddling. For a stray, our next meal comes from trash
cans, and there are no baths or cuddles. Abused animals can hope that someone will come along and save them, rescue them,
and finally give them the love they deserve. Strays can only hope that they will come across someone who is compassionate
enough to give them a good meal and maybe a cuddle or two, and sometimes you come across that one person who falls in
love with you just enough to take you home.

My name's Otis, and I was born a stray cat. I began my life around many other cats - all of different colors and breeds.
Some of them loved me as if I was their own baby - and some of them felt I was a threat to them. I don't know when I was
born or where - I've only known two places in my entire life. And one of them was the cement porch of a sweet old lady
and her daughter.

I lived about 8 weeks of my life on that porch. The cement was cold at night, but I was grateful - and lucky, because
both the ladies were so nice. They couldn't take me in because there were dozens of other cats living on the porch with
me and my momma, but they always fed us. Sometimes, when it started getting dark and cold, they would bring out table
scraps for my momma, me and my brothers and sisters, and all the other cats. We all had to fight for it, and sometimes I got hurt by some of the other cats, but my tummy was never empty.

Otis & Sassy - their other fur baby who he thought was his mama

One day, a new person came - she was younger than the other ladies, but she was just as sweet. She came outside and grabbed
me, and to my surprise, she took me in to the sweet old lady's house. I was really scared at first, but after they started
cleaning me up and gave me food to eat all to myself, I warmed up to them. Then the girl left, and I had to go back outside.
I was so heartbroken.

Later that same day, the girl came back, and I was ecstatic. But she came back with a strange man and a rambunctious little
boy. I got to come inside the house again, but this time I wasn't scared, not even of the boy or the man. I ate again and
after my tummy was full, I cuddled up in the strange man's lap and took a nap. He rubbed my back while the girl gave me
lots of kisses. I was in love with them and I didn't want them to leave me, even though I loved the old lady's porch.

Luckily for me, they didn't leave me. They took me home with them, where I met two other cats a lot like the other cats at
the old lady's porch, but much nicer. They fed me good food, and I found a permanent home on my new human mommy's neck - I
loved crawling up on her shoulder while she played on the computer. It was so comfortable.

I loved my new home with my new human parents, even though it was short. I only hope that other stray cats never give up
hope that they will come across a human parent who falls in love with them and takes them home, to a warm, comfortable
place with lots of food and cuddles.

Little Otis was loved so much

Otis was a stray we took in from my grandmother's porch in September 2010 to join our family - he lived with us for a
little over a month until one day he had to be put down due to an illness called Feline Infectious Peritonitis. He died
around 9AM on October 25, 2010. We still miss him to this day, and we hope that he's in a much better place with no more
pain.

Animals deserve much better treatment than this - whether they're abused and need to be rescued, or never had a home to
begin with. Otis had his forever home with us - and even though his life was short and God had better plans for him, he was
happy and loved until God needed him.

Please consider adopting a pet - whether it be a rescue or a stray - and if you're unable to adopt an animal, donate to
your local animal shelter, rescue agency, or a foundation like the SPCA. Every animal deserves a home, with owners who love
them.


From Junie:  Otis, may you be romping in the fields of green over Rainbow Bridge.  I'm glad that you were able to experience love of a family.  Leticia wanted digital scapbookers to know that she will have a digital scrapbooking kit for sale 11/04/10.  $2.00 of the kit price ($3.50) will be donated to the SPCA.

Goodbye Is Not Forever
 Remember if you have a rescued animal story you'd like to share on my blog, contact my mom!  She would love to have you write a post about how you helped an animal in need!

1 comment:

  1. Awe this is really sad, what a cute cat! Enjoy the times you once had together cause no one can take that from you!

    ReplyDelete