I am a 3 year old 6 lb rescued hairy hairless Chinese Crested. I am fighting for the other animals that are in the situation I was in. Read more about me here.
There are more animals euthanized than people want to know.
Please support No Kill Shelters!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Being Housetrained as an Adult Dog

Junie and one of The Girls
It's not easy trying to figure out where I can go to the bathroom in a new place.  For so long I just had to go where I was in the crate at the puppy mill.
Then my foster mommy rescued me and she said I was doing so good!  I only had one accident a week or so.
Then I moved to live with my new family and had to start over again.
My new mommy takes me out a lot, but she didn't think I was really going enough.  She didn't see any poop in the house and though, maybe that's just how tiny dogs are.
The boy in the room down the (living room) hall had been cleaning up my messes in his room without telling my mommy.  He's kind of cool like that.  He didn't want me to get in trouble.
He didn't give my mommy enough credit though.  She understands what I've been through and that change is hard.  She knew that I wouldn't automatically know where I was supposed to go at and that she would have to teach me.
One night she was talking to my daddy about me not going very much.  She was wondering if she should take me to the vet for a check up, just in case.  The boy said, mom, I know why Junie is pooping much outside.  She's been pooping in my room and she just did it again.
My mommy went in to look.  She came out and wasn't even mad.  She just went and got some paper towels and the bird cage cleaner she uses (she said it says it cleans up dog urine too) and cleaned up all the spots The Boy pointed to.  Then she shut the door and told The Boy that he needed to keep his door shut when he wasn't in it.
Since that day I've only had one accident inside.  Mommy said that was her fault.  You see, before, I would wake her up at 6.  One morning, I woke her up at 5.  She thought I just wanted up in bed.  She laid me back down in my bed and helped me go to sleep by rubbing my belly.  (There is nothing I love more than a good belly rub!)  When she got up at 7 to get the kids off to school she found a little present in The Boy's room on the floor.
Now when I wake her up at 5 she listens.  I've learned that even though I can't get up on their huge bed by myself, if I stand up with my paws on it and make really high pitch noises that she will get out of bed right away, hurry up and put a coat on me, and take me outside. Speaking of the coat, I HATE wearing clothes when I have to go potty.  I shake and shake and shake until my mommy takes it off, then I hurry up and do my business.  I know she's worried I will get cold, but how am I supposed to do what I have to do when I have clothes on?
One thing that is confusing to me is that she tells me to Go Potty when we are outside.  I'm starting to understand what Go Potty means.  But, if I'm only supposed to Go Potty outside, why do The Girls say that all the time.  I'm not sure what Mom, I have to means, but I know Go Potty.  I heard mommy telling daddy that The Girls need to say I have to go to the bathroom instead of I have to Go Potty because it might be confusing to me.  I think she's right.
Do you think those girls Go Potty too?  I never see them go outside to do it?  Hmmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment