I am a 3 year old 6 lb rescued hairy hairless Chinese Crested. I am fighting for the other animals that are in the situation I was in. Read more about me here.
There are more animals euthanized than people want to know.
Please support No Kill Shelters!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Changing Of The Food

No dog is loved more than Junie
My mom thought since we talked about how she fed me that it was important to make a post regarding the fact that she changed the stew that was mixed in with my food. 

You see, she is a member of a group called Crested Friends.  It's a group of people who love Chinese Crested dogs just like my mom loves me.  They have helped her out with transitioning me to my new home and she says they are all just wonderful.  Always there when she has a question and they have the best advice for her regarding me.  She says that she is able to take care of me better because of their help.

When she posted that she had been mixing my food with the Beneful stew, they gently suggested switching me to a better brand of  dog stew.  You see, if you read this review at Dog Food Advisor, the stuff in Beneful is not pretty.  Standards haven't changed and the use of rendered meat in animal food is not illegal.  My mom certainly doesn't want to feed me something made from euthanized cats and dogs. :(  Whether it's in there or not, the other things that are in it are not things that my mom wants me to eat.  Many DOT's take roadkill to the rendering plants and some shelters are required to take the animals there after euthanization.  That's what is in most cheap store pet foods and some of the foods labeled premium.

So, mom switched me to Blue Buffalo stews (to match the dry dog food I already eat).  I think my favorite is the Blue Buffalo Irish Lamb Stew. I love that!  The difference in the appearance and smell alone is amazing.  When mom put the Beneful in my food, I would go over and investigate and eat very slowly.  Eating here and there (after the first bowl, which I'll admit, I ate all of).  With the Lamb Stew, I eat my whole bowl in about 3 minutes, which is VERY fast for me.  Before, I rarely finished all of my food.  I've finished every bowl since she changed me over to the Blue Buffalo (yesterday).  It's so yummy!  Mom said that not having to throw dog food down the garbage disposal because I didn't eat it is awesome too.

(Mom said to tell you there is an awesome blog post/video on making your dog's food at Yeepet.  She's going to try that also.  She already cooks for the birds, why not for me too?)

Mom also got me GNC Ultra Mega Hip & Joint in dreamy peanut butter flavor, which I don't dig at all.  She snuck it in my lamb stew last night and I ate it.  Today she tried to sneak it in and I ate around it.  She's got to be more sneaky than that, come on.  I'm a smart dog.  Who wants peanut butter with their lamb?

I know she says that it will keep me from having pain in my jaw down the road, but I don't like it.  I'm not eating it.  Until she sneaks it into something else.

Speaking of things I don't dig.  She just gave me my ear drops again.  How many more days of that torture do I have to endure.  It does feel good when she massages it in, but having her stick a little tube in my ear freaks me out.  3 days down, 4 more to go.

Mom says we have to go help her brother move today.  I love car rides.  That will make up for the cruddy ear medicine and the washing of my head earlier.  She said I was greasy from the medicine.  I say it didn't bother me at all.  This whole "I'm only doing what is best for you thing" is for the birds sometimes.

I still love her lots though.

1 comment:

  1. This posting is marvelous and what a fantastic research that you have done. It has helped me a lot. thank you very much. it's time to must know about it can dog eat granola for more details.

    ReplyDelete