I am a 3 year old 6 lb rescued hairy hairless Chinese Crested. I am fighting for the other animals that are in the situation I was in. Read more about me here.
There are more animals euthanized than people want to know.
Please support No Kill Shelters!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Good News For Dogs In Missouri....Kind Of

Slightly windy out, mom.
     I say kind of because in my mind there is something wrong with that measure passing with only 51% of the vote.  I mean, come on Missouri, normal rational human beings should outnumber evil puppy mill breeders.  Why did that vote not pass with a huge margin?  Have you not been to a puppy mill?  I lived in one.  They are evil, despicable, horrible places.
    But it is good news for the dogs in Missouri.  I heard of a place here in Iowa that had over 250 breeding dogs.  It was filthy and the dogs weren't taken care of and people are STILL working on shutting them down. I have blocked out the conditions of the mill I grew up in and I don't want to remember.      I don't know why someone needs 50 female breeding dogs PERIOD let alone more than that.
    The victory comes in that:
Proposition B, which would take effect in a year, will beef up Missouri's existing laws by restricting commercial breeders to no more than 50 female dogs for breeding, increasing the size of dogs' living spaces and by requiring commercial breeders to have their dogs examined yearly by a veterinarian.
The measure, which applies to operators with more than 10 breeding dogs, also requires the animals to be fed daily and not be bred more than twice every 18 months. Breeders also must house animals indoors with unfettered access to an outdoor exercise yard.
     Now Missouri, it's time to step up and start enforcing that law when it goes into effect.  Though, I'm not sure 15 days in jail and a $300 fine is really a huge deterrent.  Not when one puppy could go for more than that.
     Stay positive here Junie, it's something, it's something.  It's a victory for dogs in that situation.  It's a victory for dogs that are in mills like the one I mentioned above.  The dogs that are still living what I was.
     I think the punishment should have been being made to live in a cage the size of the ones the breeding dogs are kept in with barely room to turn around.  The offender would never be let out to go the bathroom.  He would lay in his own filth for those 15 days, not even close to the length of the sentence I had before someone saved me.  A sentence I served when I had done nothing wrong.  I'm not even saying they should be forced bred time after time after time.  Just the cage and the never getting out and not receiving medical care and not getting enough food, that's enough for me.
    Maybe then, maybe then these evil monsters would know what they do to us dogs/cats/birds/animals might possibly be able to understand what they to do to us.

Missouri, it should have been a landslide vote.
But we'll take what we can get.


Junie says to check out: Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment