I am a 3 year old 6 lb rescued hairy hairless Chinese Crested. I am fighting for the other animals that are in the situation I was in. Read more about me here.
There are more animals euthanized than people want to know.
Please support No Kill Shelters!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Meet My Buddy, Woodstock

Ok, so we're not quite buddies yet.  The only person in this house that Woodstock is friends with is one of the little girls who live in the room with all of the pink toys.

Woodstock was a rescued lovebird.  He came all the way to my mommy from New Mexico.  From the Macaw & Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico to be exact. That bird came a long ways to live with this family.

Woodstock wasn't abused so much as abandoned.  Woodstock didn't know he could fly when he first got here.  He let the family carry him around.  My mommy figured he'd learn how again when he saw Twinkle doing it.  (Did I mention that I live in a house with 2 lovebirds and 5 budgies - you might call them parakeets?)  It worked.  Woodstock flies all of the house now.  He hasn't really taken any interest in me yet, which is probably for the best because I've heard Woodstock packs quite a punch when he wants to be left alone.  Twinkle on the other hand, she wants to be friends with everyone, I'm really not sure what I think of her yet.  My mommy won't let her too near me, she's worried either Twinkle will bite or that I'll lunge for her.  It's best when you have birds in a house to be safe rather than sorry.  You never know, even a dog or a parrot that normally acts as if they are friends can have an off moment and a tragedy can occur.  Please be careful with all of your animals.  You love them.  You never want anything to happen to them.

Back to Woodstock, like I said, he came all the way from New Mexico (which I have been told is really really far away).  He joined my family in July of this year.  The people who run the rescue were coming through Iowa and brought Woodstock to his forever home where I can see he is a much cherished part of the family, who is kind of the boss when he is out of his cage.  You should see the boy who lives down the hall duck when Woodstock flies over his head.  It looks like he's dancing.

The Macaw & Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico always has parrots that need rescuing.  Anna is always helping a bird that needs her.  Some of the birds have been horribly abused or neglected and she fixes them along with the vets help.  She gives them medicine, and the right food, and most importantly, she gives them love.  She rehabs them so they can again go live with a family who will cherish them like my family cherishes Woodstock.

Here's one macaw at that rescue that has stolen a lot of people's hearts.

That is Isabel.  That poor parrot has been through a lot, but with Anna's care she is getting stronger and better and hopefully she will find a forever home.

You can see more about Isabel here.

My mommy said that if any of you have a rescue and what to share their story, that she would love to have you guest blog for us someday!  Let us know how you made a difference in an animal's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment