I am a 3 year old 6 lb rescued hairy hairless Chinese Crested. I am fighting for the other animals that are in the situation I was in. Read more about me here.
There are more animals euthanized than people want to know.
Please support No Kill Shelters!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Changing Of The Food Again

Junie avoiding the snow by standing on mom's feet.
If you follow my mom's blog, you might have seen her post a dog food question yesterday.

She is trying to help me with battling the yeast in my ears.  The ear drops the doctor gives me doesn't cure the problem.  The yeast seems to go away but when the ear drops are gone it comes right back.

She's been giving me probiotics to help battle it but she is trying to figure out WHY it is occuring.  The probiotics have had another positive affect.  When she got me every few days I would throw up stomach acid in the mornings.  She talked to the vet about it and the vet said that sometimes dogs, like humans just have upset stomachs.  If it continued or got worse in frequency/amount to bring me in for another examination.  Since she started me on the probiotics, I haven't thrown up at all.  She also has been using Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash & Dry in my ears, but if she goes a few days without it, I start showing symptoms of an ear infection again.

She says that there has to be an underlying cause.

She started researching my food more.  From her blog:


I was reading this review here.
Black malted barley, however, is an unneccessary source of sugar and likely to contribute to yeast problems.
Now in any other dog this might not be a problem.  Junie though has reoccurring ear infections that are caused by yeast. 

Off to research more dog foods because obviously with my problems with yeast in my ears, Blue Buffalo is not the food for me.  She started going through all the dog foods that were rated 6 stars over there.  She ended up picking out a food by Orijen.  When she went to Iowa Pet Foods Plus, she talked to them about what is going on with me.  The lady just nodded her head in agreement over everything mom was saying regarding my food.  She told mom they don't even stock Blue Buffalo, not because it's a bad food, but because it has been recalled so many times.  She told mom that while the Orijen she had chosen was an excellent food, she would actually choose another recipe.  She said they only recommend the red meat recipes for working dogs.  Little dogs tend to get chubby on red meat dog foods.  She steered mom to this:



She also bought some Wellness Stews. She's going to start switching me over to these foods slowly so as not to upset my tummy.  The lady said that both choices were much better for a dog like me with the "specialty" things I deal with.

Mom said she doesn't think that they could ever own a large dog.  1 can of dog stew lasts me about 5 days mixed with my dry food.  One 5 lb bag of dry dog food lasts me about a month.  She can only imagine the cost of food for a St Bernard or Great Dane when you are giving them the high quality food.  :)

She was surprised that with it mixed I dug right into it today.  Usually I sniff around a new food for a couple of hours before I will even attempt to try it.  She said, maybe this will be easy for me to do.

The lady at Iowa Pet Foods Plus told her that it will take 6 weeks from the last date that I ate the old food to notice a difference.  She also told her that when I am done with my other glucosamine supplement that they have a high quality liquid one that is about the best you can get for a dog.

Mom loved the store.  They also are home to the Animal Rescue League of Iowa West.   They stopped back and looked at the cats and bunnies that were waiting for a new family.  She said they were expecting to have new dogs brought over within 20 minutes.

They got to meet Tigger, Killian, and Stormie who mom said were absolutely gorgeous cats that needed someone to love them.

Killian

Tigger
Stormie
Mom said that she would absolutely love it if they could find new homes.  She would adopt one of them in a heartbeat, but mom is allergic to cats.  Put her in the hospital for a breathing treatment allergic to cats.  ARL is not a no-kill shelter.  If you are in Iowa and you are interested in Tigger or Killian, you can contact the ARL-Iowa about them.  Like I said they are all at ARL west.  There are a whole bunch of animals awaiting new families at the ARL (all locations).  Besides dogs and cats, there are rabbits, rats, and even horses needing to be adopted.  Check out the pets here.  Everyone needs a home.  Remember, adopt don't shop.  They all need saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment